Peace & Justice Events and Volunteer Opportunities

Look here for upcoming P&J programs at Ascension and in your neighborhood

 

At Ascension Parish, you will find a passionate and caring community committed to extending a helping hand and building awareness of the deep injustices we find in our community and beyond.

Check back regularly for upcoming programs at Ascension and in our community as we strive for peace and justice.
 

 

CROP WALK 2019

Last year the CROP WALK West raised $82,500.  We would like to beat that this year.  If you have never walked to help raise money for food, maybe this is your year.  Just go to crophungerwalk.org/oakparkil and register.  If you registered last year they have kept your information.  25% of the money we raise stays locally for food pantries. The other 75% supports the International relief and development programs for Church World Service 

Members of the Peace and Justice Committee will be in the vestibule on Sunday, March 31 after all the Masses to ask for walkers and sponsors. Please look us up and get your envelope to walk.

The walk is Sunday, May 5 and starts at Pilgrim Congregational Church, 460 Lake Street, with registration at 1:00 pm and the walk at 2:00 pm.  

 

Praying at ICE: 12 years, every week

The Interfaith Committee for Detained Immigrants (ICDI) has racked up 629 consecutive Fridays mornings at Immigration and Customs Enforcement regional detention facility in Broadview praying for detained immigrants. Care to join us? Every Friday, sun, shade, rain or snow. Ascension sends five regulars every Friday. It runs from 7:15 am to 7:45 am (rosary on every Friday except first Friday when we celebrate an interfaith prayer). ICDI also sends 300 volunteers to four detention facilities in Wisconsin and Illinois every week, plus running two post detention centers. Our prayer is always for a more compassionate immigration policy by our federal government. Add your prayers and maybe yourselves. Contact Pat McAnany patrickm33@att.net or 708-383-0415.

 


Social Justice Resource Center

“The mission of the Social Justice Resource Center is to link faith to action by providing information & resources on the social issues of our time.”

 


ST. EDMUND CHURCH (Oak Park) Monthly Prayer Vigil to End Gun Violence 

“The last Saturday of each month, please join us on the rectory lawn from 6:30 to 7pm for our monthly Prayer Vigil to End Gun Violence. It is our way of standing against the culture of violence in our country. We also urge legislators to understand the urgency of this issue.”

 


 

Housing Forward's Americorps Program

Perhaps you are a recent grad, young professional, or simply someone looking for a professional opportunity to give back while learning about a new career field. Learn More!